5 Series strange electrical issues

I wrote in here some time ago but the problem seemed to go away but recently is has returned and worse than before. The problem is intermittent, and doesn't seem to be for any particular reason. When driving the radio will shut off, the cruise control won't work, the steering wheel will move and some other miscellaneous electrical issues. These things happen sometimes alone, sometimes together. Last time I wrote in someone told me the problem was in the key switch and to replace it for about $70, does anyone know if that could be the proble?
Thanks,
Marc

I have a '98 528 and a lot of random electrical shit happens to me as well... Recently, my rear door likes have been going in and out... One week my left door wont open, a few days later, neither of them will open, then a few days after that they'll both open...

Also, my horn just recently when out, then a few days later, my steering wheel buttons started coming and going... they work now, but the horn is still gone....

I never had problems like this in my older bimmers.... gotta love electronics.

CosmosBlack

Too much electronics suck!
I have a good old daily driver, which is my Chevy S10, basic 4cyl engine, manual windows, manual lock, manual everything!!! But...no surprises!

Sometimes I wonder...

Gemini12705 said:
I wrote in here some time ago but the problem seemed to go away but recently is has returned and worse than before. The problem is intermittent, and doesn't seem to be for any particular reason. When driving the radio will shut off, the cruise control won't work, the steering wheel will move and some other miscellaneous electrical issues. These things happen sometimes alone, sometimes together. Last time I wrote in someone told me the problem was in the key switch and to replace it for about $70, does anyone know if that could be the proble?
Thanks,
Marc

Yeah I heard about the key thing too but don't know otherwise. Sorry. It's worth a shot for $70.

I had the same problem with my 98 528i and the airbag light would go on. I lost control of the cruise control, radio, and if you turned on the vanity light everything would screw up.

It was the ignition switch module.

I'm sure its this problem because this ignition switch module controls all these functions.

Best of Luck

I had also the same problem with the doors. When the temperature is below freezing and water gets between the doors they lock up. Once the car is in a garage or the car has been running with the heater on the doors loosen up.

I have the same 1998 528i and the electrical gremlins move in and out. There is a connection between the passenger visor light, the radio lighting and function (not 12V supply) and a few of the dash lights. Everything acted up for a week two months ago and is now fine.

Nonetheless, love the car...