Bad Torque converter

Wilk1895

I have just learned that my '02 530i with 88k miles has to have the torque converter replaced. The drive has not changed other than the service engine soon light coming on. Am I putting my car at risk for further problems if it is asymptomatic. Has anyone experienced any issue such as this, especially with so few miles relative to the magnitude of the problem? This is my first BMW, and I am a bit taken aback by this type of repair. Any comments/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Big Daddy

What is an "asymptomatic?" Have you ever had the transmission serviced prior to this date? Is the car shifting properly, or showing any symptoms? Usually a BMW automatic will last between 100 - 175k with out any problems.

Adding to Dan's good questions, are you saying that the Check Engine light told them to replace the transmission? What did they do to verify that the torque converter is really bad, as opposed to a glitch or failed sensor?

Get as much information as you can, it's a bit sketchy.

Big Daddy

Kirby said:
Adding to Dan's good questions, are you saying that the Check Engine light told them to replace the transmission? What did they do to verify that the torque converter is really bad, as opposed to a glitch or failed sensor?

Get as much information as you can, it's a bit sketchy.
Very good thoughts Kirby, I did not think the "light" could tell if the converter is bad or not?

Wilk1895

I sincerely appreciate everyone's feedback. Here are some more details. Service engine soon light came on, so I took it to my independent to look at it. He pulled two codes that indicated the torque converter was slipping (clutch slipping, or something like that). He reset it and said to drive around and see if the light comes back on. Keep in mind there is no other problem indicator light coming on. He also indicated that the way the eeprom works is that if the computer senses the same problem five ignition starts in a row, then the service engine soon light will come on. Since it came back on, I took it in so they could drive around and hook up sensors to better diagnose the problem. They said that it is the torque converter. The symptoms of this problem are that the RPM's will run high or not "shift" appropriately over time. I have decided to take it into a BMW dealer on Monday, since the service mgmr I spoke with was not convinced this is the issue. I guess we will see...

I have had no transmission issues with this car (I would not expect this with 89k miles). I guess one concern I have from the above post is that these automatic transmissions usually go to 100-175k?? I guess I was under the impression that BMW transmissions lasted forever. Perhaps I was mistaken. Needless to say, this has been a dissappointing week.

Thanks.

Big Daddy

Manual transmissions can last "forever", but and automatic is designed to wear out as the "clutch" is built in the transmission. With a manual the clutch is seperate and can be replaced, usually at about 100 - 175+k. So in a sense they are the same in that regard. Best of luck with the problem, keep us informed. (just a side note: has anyone considered flushing the transmission, since you have no real transmission issues and see if that clears it up?)

Wilk1895

Thanks. No one has suggested that option. I get the sense that the independent has never replaced the torque converter without replacing the transmission, but they told me that the dealer where they buy their parts sold 26 converters for my make and year last year and have sold 27 ytd in 2007. So they felt this was okay to do. Given the dealer is only about $200 more expensive, I am inclined to have them do this type of repair if it is in fact needed. I will bring up the flush idea with the dealer. Thanks.

RBrooks01

Torque Converter

[?|]I have recently just experienced the same issue with my "torque converter". My Service engine light came on and stayed on. I took it to my mechanic who specializes in European cars and he ran the diagnostics which indicated slippage was occurring and torque converter was involved (layman's terms for me). I took it to another place that specializes in transmissions and he got the same results. The horrifying thing about this whole matter is the $2000+ price tag to rebuild. My first mechanic indicated that BMW issued a bulletin, but this was not a "recallable" situation. My car has 103,000 miles

pkaiser

Doesn't look good for me either

I have a 530i with 77,000 miles. My check engine lite went on and the BMW dealer diagnosised it as a bad torgue converter. I am the 2nd owner and bought an extended warranty through Secured Capital Management. The BMW dealer wants $2,600 for the repair. My warranty company will allow only $468.00 for it. They say I can get an aftermarket part for $159 and $30 for shipping and will allow $75 @ hour labor for the 5 hour job. I took it to another reputable repair company and their bill will be $998 so I will still be out of pocket about $500. After reading other people's problems with this same warranty company and now hearing about BMW's transmission problems I am wondering why I bought a BMW. It is my first one and so far I have loved the way it drives, but I don't know if I can afford the high dollar upkeep. I can't afford to put in a new part, but do I take a chance on a rebuilt part? My warranty is good for 30 more months but they really aren't worth the paper I got from them.

mta3763

Not limited to a 530

I have a 2003 330ci with 78000 miles and I have the same symptoms where my "check engine soon" light came on and the fault codes pointed to a slipping/bad torque converter. Because I don't see or feel anything wrong with the way my car drives. my mechanic reset the light and sent me on my way to see if it returns. Three days later, it returned but the car continues to drive well. My mechanic said that I should be able to continue driving my car for weeks or months without problem. I am very interested in what the options are above and beyond replacing the torque converter/transmission.