BMW Is adding a Competition Package for the M2

A leaked document revealed some of BMW's future plans. They include a hotter M2 and an M340i.

We've known for a while that a CS version of the BMW M2 is on its way, and that a 444-hp GTS is possible, but now, it sounds like another variant is coming. Our colleagues at Car and Driver noticed in a leaked document that BMW is planning a Competition Package for the M2.

The document, found on SupraMkV.com, doesn't offer any details on the M2 Competition Package other than that it'll be offered in the US and Europe with manual and automatic transmissions. BMW currently offers a Competition Package for the M3, M4, and M6, which gives these cars more power, and revised chassis tuning. Previous versions of the M3 and M5 could also be ordered with a Competition Package.

The M2 Competition Package would slot between the standard car and the long-rumored M2 CS in both price and performance, as is the case with the current M4. For the M3 and M4 coupe, the Competition Package costs $4750, and it's $500 cheaper for the M4 convertible.

This leaked document also reveals that BMW is working on an M Performance version of the next-generation 3-Series, the M340i. An M340i would join the M240i, M550i xDrive, and M760i in BMW's lineup of not-quite-hardcore M cars that compete with Mercedes-AMG's 43 line and Audi's S models.

We've heard the M2 CS will launch in Spring of 2018, but there's no word, official and otherwise, on when other variants will debut.

Read more on Road and Track.