Contemplating buying a 2002-2003 5-Series

KCJ

Can someone tell me why I would want one versus the other between the 530i and the 525i? Thanks. Also, does the 530i seem to perform without many problems putting it in the shop. I had seen a lot of reviews on the 740 and how it always had a lot of issues with the gadgets it came with. I never saw any reviews dogging the 530i in the same way, however. The reviews for both were right around the 2001-2003 models.

Thanks in advance.

KCJ

Looking at a 2001 740iL, need help.

I am looking at a vehicle that is in pretty good condition on the outside and inside, and maintenance has been meticulously kept up under the hood as well. However, I have seen quite a few reviews dogging this model, talking about how gadgets are always breaking down on it. I don't believe much of what I have seen has had to do with engine and the like, but more electronic gadgets that are always failing. Is it possible these reviews are correct and this one vehicle might be the exception, or am I off in what I am saying and this model is fairly dependable?

Thanks in advance.

KCJ

Keeping up your car.

I am looking at buying a used BMW, either a 2002 or 2003 5-Series or possibly a 740iL around those years as well. I have been trying to acclimate myself to BMWs, but I don't really feel like I have a good handle on what maintenance will run me. Whatever car I get will probably have been under warranty until I get it, but not under warranty when I get it. I have a friend that has a 740i and it is a 1999 model that looks like it is in mint condition. He has a retired military mechanic that does all of his work and gives him rates similar to doing a regular old Chevy, save for the cost of parts, which is whatever it is.

Can anyone give me an idea of what I might run into in terms of costs after I buy either of these models? Maybe a better question would be to ask what I will see that is different in keeping up one of these versus my Monte Carlo. Thanks in advance.

The 530i has a bigger engine with about 225 hp, and a few more standard features compared to the 525i. As far as maintenance, I don't know much about the 530 or the 740, so I can't help there.