desperate 850 newbie

sick850

Hello,
I just bought a '91 850i automatic at govt auction (drug seizure) , car was obviously sold as is so it was a gamble and now i feel like a looser.
First of all the car is cosmetically stunning, 19" ac schnitzers w/ new p zeros, perfect paint, perfect body, super nice int.
Mechanically though thast is a different story.
I've noticed several things during my 200 mile drive back home...

1. car is bucking / misfiring at around 2200 rpms @ 60mph
2. ocassionally when stopped, car is surging and smoking like a locomotive
and engine light comes on (very sporadic)
3. sometimes car smells like it is running rich and sometimes like it is burning oil
4. battery will not stay charged possibly due to DK motors? throttle motors?

anyways I'm desperate because I don't know whether to invest more $$ or just sell it as is. ofcourse there is maint recs or service history. any help will be apreciated, thanks mike

Wow " shure hate to hear that kind of nightmare , With these 850i cars you really have to do your home work when you purchase one and coming from a auction is a complete nightmare unless you got deep i mean deep pockets , Not to scare you off about the 850i's they are a beast in there own right depending on your set up on how you want the car the performance is there , Sounds like that car you bought sat for a long time and i am hoping you did a pre inspection service before you trek 200 miles which i know was nightmare ..which could of been solved by transport ..but i can understand when the right hand doesnt watch the left ...once you get the car home there is alot of aftermarket parts to rebuild the car if your mechanic ? Make sure you get a compression test to check your block heck if it looks that good rebuild it at least you know what you got i love the car , But the money is no joke when it comes to this car if you dont have the right connections in service and know how..everybody swears by its looks and perforamance but when its time to fix it ...folks run like no tomorrow ...so if you made the sacrifice to get it and got the money to fix it our rebuild the reward and pleasure is grand ...i still think this car is a classic just the word 850i folks go what ?

Also i forgot hit me up for more info about the car i might can turn you on to some people who eat and sleep these cars so i hope you made it home safe talk with ya soon !!! [bmwdance] [bmwdance]

Tune the car up. Take the plugs out and inspect, check ignition coils, change the oil and buy some dry gas in case there is water in the gas. god only knows how long the car has been sitting there and the humidity around it etc. It's like this......if you have a BMW, you are going to pay and that's just the way it is. A guy I work with asked why a BMW because they are so expensive and I simply asked "have you ever had a good piece of tail you didn't have to spend lots of money on?"

wonder if u have any fault reports on the car - from a dealer or some garage with a scanner, wuld help to see those. if someones got a gt one scanner witht the bmw program u could try a throttle adaption to start with and if possiblepost a copy of the dme &eml fult report

bkatravas

i believe a tune up will take care of your problem, plus the dealer will find anything else wrong with it and they will advise you of the problems. Just take it to the dealer and have them inspect it.