Generator drive belt

Lombi

My 1997 528i indicates a defect in the generator drive belt. Does anybody know how much does it cost to get this fix?
Thank you [???1]

Last edited:

Big Daddy

What's a 928, I assume you meant your 528? How does the car let you know the belt it bad? Either way the belts run about $10.00 and are not too dificult to replace. If your talking dealer labor I have no idea!

Lombi

My bad, I ment 528i. Well, I don't know if that is the problem but the Battery charge red light comes on and off. And I was reading the owner's manual and it said that it could be a defect in the generator drive belt or the charging circuit. Also, I have noticed that the coolant temperature gauge raises as far as the edge of the red sector but never to the red zone. After a few minutes the neddle comes back to its normal position. So, this being said, maybe a faulty generator V-belt is not giving enough power to the water pump??
What do you think?

Thanks BD

Big Daddy

The first thing I would do is have my battery tested, most places will do this free. If this is the original battery you are due for a new one, in fact you have done well. I would than have my belt checked and or replaced (is this the original?).

Lombi

The battery was replaced 4 years ago, but I am going to tested it, anyway. And I will follow your suggestion and have the belt check by the dealership ( it is the original belt ).
Thanks for sharing.

texasbmw

The battery was replaced 4 years ago, but I am going to tested it, anyway. And I will follow your suggestion and have the belt check by the dealership ( it is the original belt ).
Thanks for sharing.
The battery light in my bmw came on last night. i had just replaced the battery (last week). What was the ultimate outcome for your fix, and at what cost?

thanks for sharing--

Matt