Maintenance?

I am about to change my oil in my 528I for the first time since I bought it and was wondering 1st the oil that has been used in it since new has been BMW synthetic I have been told that Castrol makes this oil and was wondering if that was true adn if I could just use Castrol synthetic instead of BMW oil, also when I change the oil , how do I reset the service interval light that come on when I start the car, or do I have to go to the dealer for that, any advice on this would be great, thanks for all of your help Jon

Big Daddy

Yes it is true that Castrol makes BMW's oil, just as it is true that in the early 90's Mobil made BMW's oil, it's a bid/contract thing. Any synthetic oil will work and is better than dino oil over the long run. I prefer Mobil 1 and have used it in every vehicle I have owned since the early 80's. Wal Mart (sorry, but is true) is a good place to buy oils as they have the 5qt jusgs and often they are on sale for less than $20.00.

Yes it is true that Castrol makes BMW's oil, just as it is true that in the early 90's Mobil made BMW's oil, it's a bid/contract thing. Any synthetic oil will work and is better than dino oil over the long run. I prefer Mobil 1 and have used it in every vehicle I have owned since the early 80's. Wal Mart (sorry, but is true) is a good place to buy oils as they have the 5qt jusgs and often they are on sale for less than $20.00.
Man, it's $38.99 for a 4.4L jug of Mobil1 synthetic 5w-50 or 10w-30 around here[bigcry]