New Problem with the 540i O2 sensor?

Dfergus

Hello guys, seeing if anyone has some insight into this before I start forking lots of money at this problem by replacing things I don't have to.

The problem is that I am getting a check engine light, with code 1213. This is lambda control primary I believe. And it is on almost all of the time however there are times when it turns itself off for 10seconds or longer. Also, today I pulled and replaced all of the spark plugs thinking that maybe there was one that wasn't firing correctly, well all of the plugs on the passenger side(US) were immaculate, however every plug on the driver's side(US) were very dark with some soot/carbon buildup.

Other symptoms, the car generally idles very well however sometimes it can become very rough, and if left running long enough it really does start to stink of unburnt fuel. Also, fuel mileage has taken a dump in the last month or so.

So I guess what i am asking, is if is more than likely just a failed O2 sensor giving bad readings, or should I be looking for a vacuum leak?

Many thanks for your help guys.

O2 sounds like the culpirt... if you're going to change the one on the driver side, you might as well change both while you're under there. As far as I can tell, the heater on your 02 sensor has failed, meaning you have to relplace the whole unit.