Not my wife's new X5

Thought we were gonna get the new X5. Was looking forward to the spaceship shifter. My wife decided we should check out the Porsche Cayenne.
Here's my garage in the morning:

And here it is in the afternoon:

The pre-delivery wash:

Ready to go:

I like how the Nav gives you a checkered flag at your destination:

The car is back getting a Bluetooth unit installed and hopefully a correction to the throttle response; it seems like you have to push too hard to get it to go. I didn't even know that the throttle is "by wire" controlled. Should just be a software update. Anyway, as they say: "There is no substitute."

WOW congratualatuions I ahve test driven a Porsche Cayenne they are my all time favorite SUV to drive and the only one I like driving. gotta love Porsche.

Thank you for your support! We've actually had it a few days, but it was a quick decision as they had the car on the lot. It's the "S" version with a 4.5 liter 340 hp engine. Porsche claims 0-60 in 6.8 sec; it's no rocket like the Turbo (5.2 sec at almost double the price), but it's quicker than the RX it replaced. Check out how much wider the tires are compared to the Lex in the garage pix. Got a good trade in value on the RX; I looked around and dealers were selling them retail for not much above what we got, especially when you add in the tax savings. Porsche offered the same price as Carmax--another story there when I got their estimate.

Inside it is very comfortable with firm seats. The ride is firm, similar to BMW. Steering response is fast. We're still in the 1000 mile break-in period. As I mentioned, we found we really had to push on the accelerator to get it to go. The loaner we have overnight while they install Bluetooth has a much quicker response--kind of jumpy off the line--like you'd expect / want a Porsche to be. Hopefully the service guy is right when he says it's only a software thing or we'll be visiting the dealer again.

Have to learn the Navi, too. Not totally intuitive. Luckily we know our way around.
They also kind of goofed on the cupholders; they barely hold a 12 oz can.

Congrats on the Cayenne! It's a hot looking car, and I almost got one before I got the doomed Range Rover 3 months ago (it was between those 2)! At the time, I thought the Cayenne interior was too "business like" and "cold" compared to the rich colours and surfaces in the Range Rover. In hindsight, I should have gone with the Cayenne! The ride is awesome, and the S has great get up and go...and it's a great everyday driver, that is very usable. I was just annoyed that our Porsche Beverly Hills dealer is right down the street, yet the Service Dept. is about 30 mins away, and loaners are not freely given!!

Anyway, Congrats on the AWESOME Porsche. I think you'll love it!!! [:)] Don't fret about the Software updates, as Every!!! new car needs multiple!

bmw046series

1000 Post Club
I've never been to sure about the Cayenne, always made me feel like the Volkswagon Toureg, a big turn-off. I thought about getting one for sometime but I've gotta go for the new X5, the 5 litre with the new V8 will kick butt. However off-road the Cayenne is AMAZING!

She choose a Cayenne, You have my condolences [;)]

I have no first hand experience of the K-N, but there is no disputing it's success as a commercial venture...

Styling wise I think the VW is better looking and I can't help but think that without the badge on the front it would not have sold in the numbers it has.

Having said all this, I fully expect that your better half will have much enjoyment in the K-N.

Will she let YOU drive it yet.... [driving2]

congrats on the purchase!!

our family went with a similar debate 3 years ago, btw the x5 and the cayenne. we chose to go with the x5 and haven't looked back since.

i'm not a suv guy at all, but i love driving the x5. i'm just amazed what both bmw and porsche did to make their suvs so car like. and on the highway, they are solid. actually better than most sedans i've been in, imo.

not to hot about the rear end, but to each his own, and the front of the Cayenne is HOT, so i guess that makes up for it.

We drove the Toureg (V6) a few weeks ago and we both disliked the ride. Kind of felt my stomach go up into my throat on some RR tracks. Also didn't like the center console. V8 VW would be like $55K, if I recall.

Have a few friends with bad Range Rover experiences. One ditched it within a year and got a Cayenne S and within a year again traded to a Cayenne Turbo, which he loves. I actually checked with him before the purchase. His only regret is not having the panorama roof!

My wife picked up HER car today and said they fixed the throttle--it feels much quicker. They said it "needed something", whatever that means. I haven't driven it yet (after this fix). The bluetooth control unit perfectly matches the interior-black / titanium ("look") and is mounted at the bottom of the gear shift. Will post some pix hopefully over the weekend.

As to the design, it's much better looking than the VW (which is overall kind of plain; not bad, but plain). The front is truly Porsche like. (BTW, the '08 will be more angular in front--spy shots are circulating on the internet). I love the back lights--I think the fine horizontal lines are pretty unique looking. A little less common than X5's around here, too. That said, I now notice at least 1-2 Cayennes every day.