Purchasing a 2002 530i

Hi Everyone,

I've never owned a BMW before - but I'm *this* close to buying a 2002 530i.

I've test driven it and it's fantastic - I noted a few pixels out on the dashboard display (above the steering column) but other than that - I can't fault it. The steering was tight, brakes felt good, transmission was smooth, engine was sweet - but I'm no car expert.

It's done 197,000kms (122,000 miles). Is that a lot in BMW terms? Is there anything specific I should now be looking for?

I'd appreciate any tips.

Cheers, Jason

Big Daddy

122,000 miles is a lot in any terms, however a well maintained BMW engine can last well into the 200's to 300's, however I would think that that was a lot of miles on a 2002 model, that is 24,000 miles a year well above the national average. Do they have service records and what are they asking for this car?

It has full service records - one owner since new. The owner lived in the country, so the bulk of the mileage is long distance trips of over 150 miles.

They're asking $28,000 Australian Dollars which is very hard to translate to US doillars as BMW's sell cheaper there than here in Oz. As a comparison though, it's about $10k cheaper than anything else around the same age.

As it's through a dealer, I can get a 12 month premium warranty with it - so I feel reasonable confident it'll be ok.

If the dead pixels are my biggest worry - I'll be happy!

I have 103,500 on an 02 530I . Had the dealer service just before the warranty expired at 100k and everything seemed fine. Have the dealer fix the pixels, mine went bad about 85k and they charged me $50 as they said it was not a bulb but the display itself going bad. IN other words it won't get better and I have read that they can run $300-$400 to replace.. G00d luck and drive like the wind!!!

rufryder

IMHO, I believe the price is a bit too high, especially since Australian dollar is almost same as USD currently! Then again, you mentioned the price is 10k less than average going rate for the vehicle, so it might be an ok deal. Australian vehicles are more expensive than US vehicles however require less maintenance than US vehicles.

So, bottom line, compare with the going price in that area and if buying it from the dealer, go with your bottom dollars and have them do most of the work. If you do not feel you are getting a good deal, don't pull the trigger. There will always be a next one.... but once you own it, quoting DaddyKuel, Drive like the wind! :)

(I have a cousin in Sydney and we have had long discussions on price vs exchange rate vs maintenance).

Tom D

Hi Everyone,

I've never owned a BMW before - but I'm *this* close to buying a 2002 530i.

I've test driven it and it's fantastic - I noted a few pixels out on the dashboard display (above the steering column) but other than that - I can't fault it. The steering was tight, brakes felt good, transmission was smooth, engine was sweet - but I'm no car expert.

It's done 197,000kms (122,000 miles). Is that a lot in BMW terms? Is there anything specific I should now be looking for?

I'd appreciate any tips.

Cheers, Jason
I have a 2003 530i and I had the same pixel problem in the instrument cluster and the fix is to get a new instrument cluster. Expensive part $600-$700 plus about 1 hour labor. I also had pixels out in my radio display, they call it the MID. Same fix for that also a new MID display, which is just the faceplate on the radio. Cost me nearly $1700 to get out of the dealership. Used parts are available on Ebay at big savings, but you still have to get it installed and these are used parts with no guarantee.

Piriaka

E39 Purchase

Gidday, Mate

Wanganui in Kiwi at present, but ex Cairns in Maroon country! Arrived here and thought they were just about giving cars away in comparo to Aussie - I purchased a 2002 E39, 2.2 l M54 engine, 47,000ks - all the fruit except sunroof - $26,800 NZD. Included a couple of lines of pixels out too! Seems a most common thing, as does water into the rear footwells though the rear doors - check it out in a storm or thru car wash. You can fix it easily enough and the problem is well documented on BMW sites. Plus rego is under $200 NZD a year. Let's hear how you get on.

Fabulous drive!

Regards

Ray