Radio Problems

lbeemer

I am trying to figure out what might have happened to my radio and how I can get it to work again. It was doing fine all weekend and then when I got up on Monday morning I had nothing but the time displayed. I have a 1998 528i that I have only owned for about a month. I saw several threads about needing a code to reset it, but the battery never died. Do you think that would still get it fixed? I can take it to the dealer if that is the problem, but it is quite a haul so I would rather be able to fix it myself if no code is required. It never prompted for a code or anything, just went straight into only displaying the time.

Thanks in advance for any feedback at all!

lbeemer

I just took another look at it and there are not even any options to enter numbers, so I am more convienced now that it is not the code entering that is the problem. I did have some CDs playing and took the currently playing one out after the car was stopped. Could that have had anything to with it?

Big Daddy

If the battery had been disconnected or dead you would get a message on the radio after turning it on, "enter code". Apparently that is not the problem. Reinstall the CD you removed and than turn the car on and see what happens, but I do not see that as the problem. When you turn on the radio what if anything is happening?

lbeemer

When I turn the car on all I see is the time display. I can change the time and also view the date. Pushing the Volume knob/Power for radio does nothing nor do any other buttons alter the display. I have tried placing a CD back into all of the positions, but still I get nothing.

I've had a similar problem on my 02 525i, I took it in for some body work after an accident and when it was returned to me the radio had the same symptoms you're describing. Wouldn't turn on and it was not disconnected and everything else worked, took it in and the guy said he disconnected and reconnect the battery after not being to find any problems and that did the trick. Not sure why this would be the case but it's worth a try?

lbeemer

Okay, so I took the car to the dealer and they said that the tape player was shot and affecting the whole system. (Go figure it would be the one thing I don't ever use) They gave me two options basically. Find a replacement tape deck (apparently BMW does not sell them anymore) or get a whole new after market system. Judging from some other posts on this forum, it seems like there are some issues with aftermarket CD/Radios. What would you guys suggest I do? I would hate to buy a used replacement and it not work....if I can even find one. Is it difficult to change these things out myself? If I could find a used one a put it in myself that would save some time and money. Thanks for any help!!

Okay, so I took the car to the dealer and they said that the tape player was shot and affecting the whole system. (Go figure it would be the one thing I don't ever use) They gave me two options basically. Find a replacement tape deck (apparently BMW does not sell them anymore) or get a whole new after market system. Judging from some other posts on this forum, it seems like there are some issues with aftermarket CD/Radios. What would you guys suggest I do? I would hate to buy a used replacement and it not work....if I can even find one. Is it difficult to change these things out myself? If I could find a used one a put it in myself that would save some time and money. Thanks for any help!!
I have had the same car for about six months, same problem, same symptoms. There is 12V power as I was able to get the tape deck to spit out a tape; I had not used the cassette deck for a few months, until yesterday.

Let me know what you finally did to solve the problem.

Radio problems etc.

This used 528i is one of the nicest cars I have ever driven...previous vehicle was a Mercdes E320 4-matic wagon which was a truck by comparison.

Since purchase about six months ago, I have just spent $500+. chasing an engine light code which turned out to be an evap sensor. Now, a week later, the radio mysteriously stops working. I used the cassette player, for the fist time in a few months, on the day before the radio stopped. Radio appears to have 12 VDC as the tape player did eject the tape.

I have tried every sequence of every button in the car. Finally, after folding down the passenger sun shade, the radio miraculously came alive.

I would welcome any feedback and thanks in advance.

lbeemer

Up and running again

Sorry for the delay in update, I was not aware there had been more posts! I was finaly able to locate a used Cassette deck online for around $100 and get verbal assurance from the seller that if it did not work I could return it. Saved me about $200 from other online retailers, but even with those I was only able to find a handful of the correct decks.

After replacing the cassette deck, everything else went back to working fine. I have had no additional trouble since then.