2010 Z4 Officially Announced

The BMW Z4 is the first to come with a two-piece, electro-hydraulically operated Retractable Hard-Top roof that can be raised or lowered in 20 seconds. The new roadster is also the first vehicle to be offered with Adaptive M Suspension. Electronically controlled dampers offer three different configurations and lower the ride height by up to 10mm for a more dynamic drive. By way of comparison, the Sport+ setting of the new car is comparable to the outgoing Z4's standard ride comfort level.

The standard Drive Dynamic Control function is another first and allows the driver to alter, depending on model specification, the throttle and steering response, level of ride comfort, Dynamic Stability Control response and, on automatic or Double Clutch Transmission cars, gear change times.
Powering the new BMW Z4 is a choice of three six-cylinder powerplants. The range flagship is the current International Engine of the Year-winning 3.0-litre twin-turbocharged engine. Producing 306hp at 5,800rpm, the BMW Z4 sDrive35i powers its way from zero to 62mph in 5.2 seconds (5.1 seconds for a Double Clutch Transmission-equipped car) and on to an electronically-limited top speed of 155mph.

The twin-turbocharged 2,979cc engine with high-precision direct injection technology produces 400Nm of torque from just 1,300rpm for effortless in-gear acceleration. The strong performance credentials are matched in terms of economy and emissions. The Z4 sDrive35i records a combined consumption figure of 30.1mpg (31.4mpg) and CO2 emissions of 219g/km (210g/km).

William330

Am I reading correctly, this will be available with the 335 engine?

My initial thought was that this would be a light car with massive horsepower, meaning it would be the most fun to drive out of all current BMWs. Then I looked up the current Z4's weight (3,241 lbs), and it's 100 pounds heavier than a 335 (3,140 lbs).

Crazy. I'm sure with the hard top this new one will be heavier still.

The 1-series was the same deal, heavy and only 200 pounds lighter than the 335.

The 335 is therefore the most perfect vehicle ever created? :)

Am I reading correctly, this will be available with the 335 engine?

My initial thought was that this would be a light car with massive horsepower, meaning it would be the most fun to drive out of all current BMWs. Then I looked up the current Z4's weight (3,241 lbs), and it's 100 pounds heavier than a 335 (3,140 lbs).

Crazy. I'm sure with the hard top this new one will be heavier still.

The 1-series was the same deal, heavy and only 200 pounds lighter than the 335.

The 335 is therefore the most perfect vehicle ever created? :)
Interesting observation. You would certainly expect the Z4 to be lighter than the 3 series. Time for carbon fiber on the Z4!!

Hi Kirby, Hi Big D.

The 335i Coupe and Sedan are 3,600lbs cars.

The Z4 3.0si is a 3,100lbs car, less or more depending on auto or manual tranny.

I am looking forward to the new Z4, I was not expecting a retracting hard-top, which is nice but will probably add some weight to the package. Regardless, the Z4 is currently my favorite BMW in the entire lineup.

Working like a slave at work, attending class on Monday and Tuesday nights, working out six days a week, and detailing the shit outta the cars on week-ends.

How are things with you?