'96 328iC SRS light

bmwboy328

We recently purchased a low mileage (15,000 miles) '96 328 Convertible. Obviously it was the original owner's fair weather baby. He gave me all of the maintenance records at purchase.

The only problems he had with the car centered around the SRS light. It returned to the dealer 3 times in a short period. On two occasions it read a voltage fluctuation that caused the light to go on. They cleared it. The 3rd time, they replaced both airbags as "faulty". Since I have the car (2 months and 700 miles), the light has returned twice. The first time, it could not be cleared easily (diagnostics pointed to voltage again). After much discussion and some searching, it was found that the battery was not appropriate for the car and it was changed to a proper BMW Convertible battery. All was well for 2 weeks. Now the light is on again and we are all scratching our heads.

I made an appointment with the dealer next week. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Similar problem on mine

I had a similar problem on mine - my battery was shorting, so the SRS light came on. My alternator had worn out brushes, so I have replaced them (come as a set with a voltage regulator for 30 bucks off electrical shop). My voltage is fine now - but the light still stays on. You said the dealer has cleared the light by resetting it?

You can measure the voltage on yours - just start the car, go to the battery terminal with a voltmeter, set it to DC, 24V, and measure using correct polarity. Turn your A/C, stereo and lights off and it should be something like 14.1 Volt. With all electrical equipment on, it should show 13.7 Volt. If you get less than that, the SRS system doesn't engage the airbags due to low voltage, and the light comes on. So it may be your alternator as well. I suggest check it and if so, FIX it, not get another one. You'll save 300 bucks :)

Two Suggestions:
1. Alldata has recall and service advisories for this problem. If you took it to a BMW dealer they shoulda checked these:
http://www.alldata.com/TSB/06/96067933.html

Here is a list:
Bulletins for 1996 BMW 328i Convertible (E36) L6-2793cc 2.8L DOHC (M52)

Safety Recalls
TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title
320296 AUG 96 Recall - Airbag Contact Ring

Service Bulletins
TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title
720897 OCT 00 Airbags - Deactivation
720200 JUL 00 Airbag Control Module - Warning Light ON/Codes Set
610200 APR 00 Airbag Systems - Wiring Repair Procedure
040596 FEB 96 Tools - Air Bag Triggering Adapter Cable

2. This company has a Scan Tool made for BMW SRS and some good information about what causes the light to come on. If you can do your own work, it's a lot cheaper than paying the dealer for a reset:
http://www.peakeresearch.com/srstool.htm