BMW’s computer won’t likely yield much

Big Daddy

We were discussing this in another thread when I mentioned that BMW's DMEC did not contain all the information some of us think it does, as they stated in my legal case and now apparently here as well:

By Peter Reuell/ Daily News Staff

When police searched the BMW SUV shared by Neil and Rachel Entwistle, they weren’t searching the interior for blood stains or forensic evidence.

Rather, police were focused on the vehicle’s computer control system, court papers released yesterday show.

Experts yesterday, though, said the information investigators hoped to glean from the computer would be difficult, if not impossible, to obtain.
In an affidavit, police say the vehicle’s Digital Motor Electronics Control Unit tracks everything from what times the vehicle is running to its mileage. Police asked a technician at Foreign Motors West in Natick to assist them in pulling the information from the system.

Yesterday, however, Lance Mitchell, the dealership’s BMW service director, said he doubted it could be done. "It (the computer) doesn’t really have any type of capacity like that," he said. "It will tell you how many miles are on the car, but that’s it." For the most part, the computer is used to help control the engine, ensuring it runs efficiently, and to track emissions information.
A technician at another dealership, who asked that his name not be used, agreed with Mitchell. "The only things we’re allowed to pull out are faults. Say, if somebody had water in the gas

It's supposed to record highest revs ever reached. Or maybe the fact that the engine has gone past the redline. So I've heard anyways. I don't think it logs when it exactly happened tho. I'm sure the computer really is basic.

epj3

codex57 said:
It's supposed to record highest revs ever reached. Or maybe the fact that the engine has gone past the redline. So I've heard anyways. I don't think it logs when it exactly happened tho. I'm sure the computer really is basic.
My car goes past redline all the time though. [clap]

Big Daddy said:
We were discussing this in another thread when I mentioned that BMW's DMEC did not contain all the information some of us think it does, as they stated in my legal case and now apparently here as well:

By Peter Reuell/ Daily News Staff

When police searched the BMW SUV shared by Neil and Rachel Entwistle, they weren’t searching the interior for blood stains or forensic evidence.

Rather, police were focused on the vehicle’s computer control system, court papers released yesterday show.
In an affidavit, police say the vehicle’s Digital Motor Electronics Control Unit tracks everything from what times the vehicle is running to its mileage.
Do they know about the secret camera & mike in the rear view mirror that records everything in the car? That is also stored in the ECU and can be replayed on the NAV screen... [hihi]

These detectives have been watching CSI way too much!!!

epj3

nadroj said:
yay, what rmp does it go to?
Stock rev limiter is 6250 rpm (which is f'ing annoying...), with the chip its supposed to be 6850 rpm. Which I have seen a few times (a week)

It's an M30 though, so it wont mind. [hihi]

zoeyi

Shenzhen Dengfeng Power Supply Co.,Ltd is a best China led emergency power pack for ceiling, panel, downlight power supply manufacturer and supplier, we are always ready to offer you cheap led emergency power pack for ceiling, panel, downlight power supply with good quality. Welcome to wholesale products from us.
http://www.df-emergency.com/