NO steering

xjust

while driving at about 120kmph my steering DIED for about two seconds (after a small break)

i consider myself lucky that it went back to almost normal. ( and that noone came from the opposite lane )

now when the engine is idle i cannot move the steering wheel at all and there is a straange noise coming from under the hood when i try to.

im suspecting the steering pump died . which is very unusuall on a 67k km car.

i do have active steering and dinamic drve on this car.
i tried to manually disable the active steering/dinamic drive by removing fuse #4 but i still cant steer.

anybody had similar troubles ?
any advice what should i tell BMW when i go there tomorrow ?

i find this car really dangerous if things like this can happen :(

thanks

Big Daddy

When was the last time you had the power steering fluid flushed? When was the last time you checked the fluid? Things like this can happen with any car, years ago they did not even have power steering.

xjust

thanks for the reply..

this car was serviced all the time at bmw. i will ask them tomorrow.
i dont know to check the power steering fluid :) how do i do that ?

if the power steering dies you cannot steer at all ? cause thats the case here.

usually in my experience if the power steering pump goes out the car usually steers fine. just hard to turn the wheel.
I would have a look at the reck and pinion.

When you say you can't steer at all, do you mean that the steering wheel doesn't move in any direction or the steering wheel turns but the front wheels don't. I am not sure how mechanical the steering linkage is but if its electronic it could be a computer/electrical problem...

xjust

yes .. the pump is down just like you said. 2000$ at my romanian bmw dealer (+ fitting).. checked on realoem.com and its listed as 931$ for the pump with dinamic drive and active steering. ;\

anyway. i had errors on active steering since i got the car (brand new). they 'serviced' it for about 8 times. and it magically didnt report any active steering error at all.. is it possible to disable that error from displaying ? i thought bmw replaces this kind of problems under warranty not hides them untill its a life/death matter. i was real lucky nobody was on the other lane.

the car still steers (harder) when moving. but when its stationary its impossible to move the wheel because the active steering which is still active. its like im trying to move the wheel with my hand because of the steering wheel ratio.

thanks for all your replies. i am waiting for the pump to be replaced now.