Rubbing/whining Noise

Hi there bmw owners my first time on here so im a bit of a nobie, I brought a 518 about a year ago now its only an old k reg but its my first bmw and i love it BUTthe other day i was driving then all of a sudden there was a whining /rubbing noise when i am moving in 2nd,3rdand 4th gear but the minuite i put my foot on the clutch it stops also 5th gear is perfectly fine any 1 that might know what this problem could be i would be so gratefull to here from you thanks all of you that have taken the time to read this thread happy driving [thumb]

hello friend.........what you are experiencing is a worn-out lay-shaft bearing, 5th gear is on the main shaft and this is why you do not hear this noise in 5th, and as far as the noise stopping while your foot is on the clutch, that is because when you step down on the clutch pedal the transmission is completely uncoupled from from the engine there-fore none of the shafts in the trans are spinning.........no spinning...........no bearing noise. do not continue driving the car in this condition..............you will go from a repair involving about $100 in parts...............to having to replace or rebuild the entire trans at an astronomically greater cost!

[driving]<-----------(i assume you are in the uk so you shift with your left hand) Happy Motoring

hey there classic

hey there buddy thanks you so much i will use my alfa for now then ill get my garage to come and get it for repair . yes im in the uk just outside london ,like the pic what a looker will take a pic of mine tomorrow and post it on here not as nice as yours though , VERY HAPPY DRIVING TO YOU ALSO